Payroll Leave of Absence

Professional Leaves (paid)

Absences for outside professional activities related to University responsibilities which necessitate absence from the bargaining-unit member's usual University operating location may be approved with pay for periods up to thirty (30) working days. Requests for authorized absences should be filed by the bargaining-unit member with his/her chair or dean/director/vice president at least two (2) weeks prior to the start of the proposed activity and at least three (3) weeks prior to activity outside the United States. General fund dollars cannot be used to support salary during the duration of the professional leave.

Approval from the Chair, Dean/Unit Director and Provost in writing is required.

Unpaid Leave of Absence

The Office of the Provost provides a template for requests for unpaid leave of absence.

The AAUP-AFT contract allows for various other types of leaves (Article XIII). Including unpaid leaves of absence see (Article XIII section A.).  The duration of the unpaid leave may not exceed twelve (12) months. Under exceptional circumstances, written approval may be obtained to allow an extension. More specific information is provided in the contract (Article XIII sections A,l,d). Continuation of benefits (medical and life insurance coverage) is available, but without university subsidy. The faculty member must request these in writing. Bargaining unit members who do not return to work by the date of expiration of their approved leave are considered to have voluntarily resigned from the university, unless there are extenuating circumstances beyond his/her control. (See Article XIII sections A.l.f).

Professional and Personal Leaves (unpaid)

To be eligible for a professional or personal leave of absence without pay, a member of the bargaining unit shall have had one (1) year of continuous, full-time service in the bargaining unit. Under certain circumstances, the President or his/her designated representative may waive the one-year eligibility requirement. The member of the bargaining unit shall submit in writing to his/her department chair/unit director or immediate supervisor the request for the leave stating the reasons for the leave, the period of absence, and the date of return. Leaves of absence without pay may be granted for a period not to exceed twelve (12) months. Bargaining Unit members should contact Total Compensation and Wellness to discuss fringe benefit options. Stipulations regarding return to work may be found in the AAUP-AFT contract.

Approval from the Chair/Unit Director, Dean and Provost in writing is required.